At present, 50% of our global habitable land is used for agriculture. A whopping 94% of global biodiversity (excluding humans) is made up of livestock, leaving only 6% of wild animals (read more at Our World in Data). These numbers highlight the importance of dramatically changing our food production system.
Topics to further investigate include:
- How do various agricultural technologies compare? Would hydroponics, precision irrigation, high-tech farming and genetically modified crops be the way to go?
- Is agro-forestry a better approach, allowing for a better functioning ecosystem while achieving decent yields?
- Should we look at different sources of food, like insects, algae, or lab-grown meat?
- What impact can lifestyle and consumption choices have on food requirement? How would these choices interact with overall wellbeing?
Ideas and resources
We are looking for ideas and resources in the field of Food that may enable a city to adhere to the Triple 95 rule. Please help out!
Metro Vancouver: Designing for Urban Food Production
|Roehr and Kunigk Roehr, Daniel; Kunigk, Isabel||Journal: Berkeley Planning Journal|
Questions or comments around Food? Let's chat!